10 Things To Know Before Buying A Power Bank
Guide To Buying A Power Bank - Things To Consider When Buying A Power Bank
1. ----» What is power bank?
A power bank stores electric charge serving as a reserve for charging for phone and laptop batteries.
2. ----» Where is a power bank made from?
Most brands of power banks are manufactured in China.
3. ----» How do I charge the power bank?
To charge your power bank, connect the device charger to a wall outlet, computer USB port or another power bank.
4. ----» How long do I need to charge the power bank?
Charging duration depends on the true capacity of the power bank. Also an original charger would charge faster while charging via a computer usb would be slower.
5. ----» Why does it take longer time to charge the same power bank sometimes? Charging time may fluctuate due to temperature, power flow and environment even while using the same charger.
6. ----» What is mAh?
The standard unit of measuring the capacity of a pwer bank is mAh ( which means milli Ampere Hour)
7. ----» How do I calculate how many times my power bank would charge my battery to full capacity?
A common error many people make is to assume a 12000mAh capacity power bank would charge a 1500mAh capacity phone battery full for 8 times.
This is the formula to calculate total charge time.
Power bank capacity x conversion rate x phone battery health / phone capacity = total charge time (cycle)
From the example above:
12000 x 0.8 x 0.8 / 1500 = 5.12 charge times (+/- 0.5-1.0)
conversation rate - percentage of charge left in the battery after loss through heat and PCB operation.
phone battery health- the efficiency of the phone battery to hold charge. This efficiency diminishes with battery use (repeated cycles of charging and discharging).
9. ----» What is the difference between a 18650 and Li-Polymer power bank?
18650 power banks are cheaper, commoner, produces more heat, has fixed dimensions and higher self discharge rates while Li-Polymer batteries are better, safer, more expensive but more durable, with flexible dimensions and produces less heat
10. ----» Can a power bank explode during overcharging or overheating?
Whether you use a branded or generic power bank, batteries have the tendency to explode. However, this should not scare you because the chance of power banks exploding is nearly zero. Look at it this way, if power banks explode easily people would have preferred them in wars instead of bombs.
I hope you enjoyed my tips on buying a power bank? You can buy cheap power banks online in Nigeria from Jumia and Konga.